Autumnal easy dinner: Butternut squash, chorizo and mushroom risotto
When finishing that 5 pm lecture and walking home in the cold and dark, sometimes there is nothing more that you want to do other than layering up and snuggling up under your duvet and put on Netflix. Having to prepare a warm meal suddenly feels that much harder, so the temptation to throw some nuggets into the oven is pretty huge. But do not fear, your easy dinner winter meals do not have to be unhealthy to be easy, and this warming risotto is pretty simple to prepare!
Timing: 1-hour (using fresh butternut squash or sweet potato as an alternative)
Feeds: 3-4 people (or you for 3-4 days)
Cost: £6 (based on Tesco)
1 Small butternut squash (or a packet of frozen pieces will do the job and is also quicker).
Arborio risotto rice -150g
2 Vegetable stock cubes
Chorizo – 60g
Parmesan (optional but adds creaminess)
For the risotto:
1. Peel the butternut squash and chop into 2cm pieces (mine are a little large).
2. Make the vegetable stock by putting one cube into a measuring jug and adding 600ml of boiling water.
3. Put the butternut squash into a saucepan with the vegetable stock and put on a low heat to simmer. Put a lid on top.
4. Chop the onion and simmer in a frying pan with oil for approximately 1 minute, add the 150g rice and allow to simmer for 2 mins stirring occasionally.
5. Chop the mushrooms and chorizo and one handful of sage, then add to the rice and onions and stir.
6. Ladle in part of the veg stock mixture, stir and allow to simmer with a lid for 5-10 minutes or until the stock has evaporated. Repeat until no stock is left and the rice is fluffy.
I have included the option for having roasted squash to top the risotto, but this isn’t necessary:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel the butternut squash and chop into 2cm pieces.
3. Take ¼ of the butternut squash and place into a roasting dish and drizzle with oil and add a light sprinkle of mixed herbs
4. Put it into the oven.
You’ll be the talk of the halls rustling up this hearty and warm easy dinner meal for you or your housemates.