Introducing our new Chat Server – and some other pretty cool things too!
Today we’ve got something we wanna share with you, and it’s pretty awesome if we say so ourselves! In line with our goal to continue to bring the Campus community together by enhancing user experience, we’ve made some big changes.
Following on from months of hard work, sleepless nights, and copious amounts of caffeine, we’re ready to launch our new chat server. Since this is an update to one of the core functions of the Campus platform, we launched an update to the web platform and the iOS/Android apps at the same time. A word of warning though: If you guys are using one of the apps don’t forget to update them, otherwise things will get a bit wonky.
Without further ado, here are the release notes:
Web and App Changes
- We’ve added even better interaction with posts that appear in chat. Now you can watch that YouTube clip and share your reaction without having to open a new screen.
- To make the above possible we have done a complete redesign of what posts and shared links look like in the chat.
- Sharing links to a webpage in chat will generate a post preview from that webpage. And if you share a link directly to an image, that image will now appear in the chat and as a separate post.
- You will now be able to see when others having something to say in the chat because three dots will appear as the other user types their response.
- Web only- Hovering over chats will bring up an option menu that has ‘Report’ and ‘Info’ options. Selecting ‘info’ brings up a screen where you can see if that chat which users have seen the chat and which ones have had it delivered.
- Web only – Type something you regret? Or had a witty response completely undermined by a typo? Well now you have 5 minutes to edit that chat!
- Introducing Live on Campus! We’ll talk more about this later, but for now all you need to know is that any channel that is currently active will appear in this section.
- We bumped the Latest section up a bit and updated it so that new channels will appear in when they have a photo and at least five members - so start inviting your friends!
Web Only Changes
- Good news for web users! We now have an unread tab in the channels and chat section, so you can finally keep up with what’s new for you on Campus.
- You might start to notice some channels marked as ‘Official’. These are channels that are tied to a brand or blog externally and want to remain affiliated with it.
- Related to the above, we’re also introducing ‘Verified’ users, which is for recognizing if that user is actually legit.
- Channel admins can now pin and unpin posts in their respective channels, so if you want to introduce yourself, have an announcement to make, or just want to set up a weekly post schedule, you can pin the notice to the top of the wall!
App Only Changes
- You’ll notice that the app now opens directly to the Network. We figured that you want to be taken directly to where you can find new content within your network, so we changed it!
- Entering a channel brings you to the channel wall where you can see all the posts created within that channel.
Great! Comment below and we’ll answer them. Although if you want to know how the Antikythera Mechanism was created then I’m afraid we won’t be of much help. Seriously though, we’re always up for ridiculous questions, so give it your best shot in the comments below!
Also if things still look really wrong for you don’t forget to CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE!