EFFECTIVE DATE: 4TH FEB 2015
REVISED: 16TH AUG 2016
We are committed to transparency in our privacy practices and ensuring you maintain control of your own data.
What Information Does Campus Society Collect?
The information we gather from users enables us to personalize and improve our services, and to allow our users to set up a user account and profile that can be used to interact with other users through the Service and Site. In connection with the Service, we request and display some potentially identifying information to other users and visitors of the Service and Site, so that users may identify each other.
Listed below are services where Campus Society gathers personal information and details on how the information is used:
Campus Society uses potentially personally identifiable information collected from you to complete your registration to the Site. In order to register on the Service and Site, you must provide your name (“User Name”), a valid email address, and a password. Upon registering on the Site, you consent to receiving an email for the purpose of confirming your registration.
In order view, post, comment, like or report a post, chat, send messages, bookmark posts, vote in polls, or generally interact on the Site, you must be registered on the Site and logged in.
Unregistered Users have limited access to the Site and cannot post to the Site without registering an account first.
Users of Campus Society are encouraged and able to post about various topics and subject matter. These posts may include plain text, links, pictures, videos, etc. Where posted publicly, all content and information may be accessible to other Users of Campus Society and, in some cases, indexed by search engines. These posts are identifiable by your Username, University and field of study. As such, Campus Society urges you to be sensitive about any personal information you do not wish to be made public. Should you request deletion of your profile and account, Campus Society may keep this information for the sole purpose of preserving content on the Service or Site, however we pledge to do all we can in disassociating your personal and account information from the Service and Site in their entireties.
Non-Personal Information Collected Automatically:
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with our Service or Site. When you use the Site, Campus Society automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser or mobile platform including: your geo-location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested or accessed.
- Generally, our service automatically collects anonymous usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our Site and its components. Campus Society only uses this data in aggregate form and as a statistical measure. Campus Society will not intentionally use such information or data in a manner that would identify you personally outside the scope of our Terms and this Policy. This data and information enables us to determine how users utilize the Service and Site, so that we can continue building and improving the Service and Site for as many people as possible. As part of this use of information, we may provide aggregated information and data to our partners about how our customers, collectively, use the Site. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how people use the Services and Site, so that they, too, may provide and improve upon aspects of your online experience. Again, Campus Society will never intentionally disclose information or data to a partner in a manner that could identify or harm you personally.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your mobile and computer's browser (the “Browser”) to enable our systems to recognize your Browser, session information, login information and tell us how and when pages in our site are visited and by how many people. Campus Society cookies do not collect Personal Information, and we do not combine the general information collected through cookies with other Personal Information to tell us who you are or what your username or email address is.
- Most Browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your Browser from accepting new cookies or (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide whether to accept each new cookie in a variety of ways. We would encourage and recommend that you leave cookies activated while using Campus Society in order to take advantage of some of our Service’s features and uses.
Personally Identifiable Information and Sharing of Your Personal Information
Campus Society may share your Personal Information only as described below:
Use of the Service: The Site is primarily designed to help you share information with others. This not only includes the information that you provide directly to Campus Society, but also information that you broadcast publicly using the Service. You can control the information that you publicly broadcast.
Information you submit to the Service will be available publicly with the ability to be indexed by search engines. It is your option to share as little or as much as you would like with the knowledge that your Posts can be seen publicly.
Please remember that if you choose to provide personal information using certain features of the Service, that information is available to the wider Campus Society community and may be subject to indexing by third party search engines. Individuals reading this information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge. We urge you to think carefully and deliberately about the disclosure of any specific information you may deem private, or other any content that you create or share while using the Service or Site.
WE MAY RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION WHEN YOU OPEN AN EMAIL FROM CAMPUS SOCIETY IF YOUR COMPUTER SUPPORTS THIS TYPE OF PROGRAM. CAMPUS SOCIETY USES THIS CONFIRMATION TO HELP US MAKE EMAILS MORE INTERESTING AND HELPFUL AND TO IMPROVE OUR SERVICE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE EMAILS OR OTHER COMMUNICATIONS FROM US, PLEASE INDICATE SO BY 'UNSUBSCRIBING' AT THE BOTTOM OF ANY EMAIL RECEIVED.
Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and may need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Unless we tell you differently, Campus Society’s agents do not have any right to use Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Personal Information for the above purposes.
Communication in response to User Submissions: User Submissions are posts submitted by the User. As part of the Service, you will receive Campus Society emails, notifications, or other communications relating to your User Submissions (such as a message received in your Campus Society Inbox). You acknowledge and agree that by posting such User Submissions, Campus Society may send you an email or other communication that relates to your User Submissions. You may opt out of all of these communications by changing your preferences on the Site, unsubscribing from emails via the link provided therein, or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets in the course of lawful business transactions or agreements. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if Campus Society, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Campus Society goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Campus Society may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
Protection of Campus Society and Others
With Your Consent
Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be able to prevent the sharing of this information by withholding express permission or consent to such sharing of information.
Non-Private or Non-Personal Information
To expand and clarify what is stated above, Campus Society may share or disclose your non-private, aggregated, or otherwise non-personal information.
Is Personal Information About Me Secure?
Your Campus Society account and the associated Personal Information is protected by a password chosen by you alone. You must take care to prevent any unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer and Browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
Campus Society endeavors to safeguard user information to ensure it is kept private. However, Campus Society cannot guarantee, without reservation, the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time.
What Personal Information Can I Access?
Campus Society allows you to access the following information about you for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information. This list can and will change as our Service and Site change, however we aim to provide you adequate notice when it does.
- First and Last Name
- University Attending or Attended
- Major or Field of Study
Campus Society is specifically intended for people who are of age to apply for or attend college or university. Campus Society does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 12, or knowingly allow such persons to register with Campus Society. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under age 12, we will take steps to remove and protect that information in accordance with the law.
Deleting or Modifying Your Account
Should you ever decide to delete or modify your Campus Society account, you may do so by contacting Campus Society at email@example.com. If you terminate your account, your profile will be removed from the site and deleted from Campus Society’s servers. Because of the way we maintain Campus Society, such deletion may not be immediate, and residual copies of your profile information or posts may remain on backup media for up to ninety (90) days.
What Choices Do I Have?
- You choose what information you share or do not share with other Campus Society Users. While Campus Society will have your university email address, this information need not be available to the Users and is never provided by Campus Society to others. It is possible to remain anonymous while using the Site.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using the Service, please send a detailed message to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to address and resolve your questions, problems, or concerns.