Cauliflower cheese soup
(£1.13 per portion. 4 portions)
- 175ml water
- 100g cauliflower, chopped
- 150g cubed potatoes
- 65g celery, chopped
- 65g carrots, diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 50g butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 750ml milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 115g Cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a large saucepan, combine water, cauliflower, potatoes, celery, carrots and onion. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in separate saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk.
4. Return to heat and cook until thickened.
5. Stir in vegetables with cooking liquid and season with salt and pepper.
6. Stir in cheese until melted and remove from heat.