Welcome to Campus Society
Together, these policies govern your use of Campus Society (also referred to as “Campus Society”, the “Site”, the “site” and/or the “community”), including our features, apps, desktop and mobile websites, technologies and software and your access to all products and services available through them (collectively called our “services”), unless we expressly state, either within the Site or in these Terms, that separate or additional terms apply.
You’re responsible for all your activity in connection with our services, and these Terms govern all your information, text (in public or private), links, graphics, photos, audio, videos or other materials or data uploaded, downloaded or appearing on our services (collectively referred to as your “content”), without limitation.
Campus Society is owned and operated by Connectt Limited (written as “we” or “us” or “our” or “Connectt Limited” in these Terms).
Use of your information
Campus Society collects and uses your personal data in order to provide and moderate the services described to you in these Terms.
Your personal data comprises information about how you access and use our services, and the content you provide when using our services, along with the activities others do in relation to you and content they provide about you while using our services.
By using our services described below in these Terms you agree that we can show you ads that businesses and organisations pay us to promote on our platform. Individual or personally identifiable data is never shared with any advertisers. We only use your personal data, such as information about your activity and interests, in order to show you ads that are more relevant to you. This means that we can show you relevant and useful ads without telling advertisers who you are. This works as follows: Advertisers inform us on things such as their business goal, and the audience that they are targeting (for example, students between the ages of 18-20 who study literature). The ad then appears to the students who might be interested.
Campus Society is a mobile application and web platform designed for use by higher education students in the UK. We provide services which facilitate collaboration, sharing of content and ideas, and discussion between people of all kinds, anywhere. More specifically, our services as described below can be found in our apps and on our desktop and mobile websites.
These are special interest member feeds organised around shared interests and common experiences. There are channels for different topics and they are all public for anyone to follow. You can select channels to follow based on your own interests, and as a channel member, can post content on the channel feed. All channels are created and managed by us. Follow a channel means you will see posts from that channel in your member feed.
The network will offer an area for search, where you can type a search query to find members profiles, channels, and content. Additionally, you can visit our Explore page which will provide suggestions for channels, people, partner profiles, and content, based on your preferences and interactions.
You can send private messages to other members of Campus Society. These messages will be encrypted, which means your conversations are only visible between you and the other member/s of the conversation. People use messages to keep in touch with friends, or get to know other members, on a one-to-one basis.
So that you can be aware of activity around your actions and content, as well as product updates, we may use email notifications to let you know. Some emails are on by default, such as the email confirmation we send when you register for an account or change your password. You can adjust the types of emails you wish to receive or not receive by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We may use push notifications to let you know when other members have interacted with you or your content as well as to send you personalised updates. Some notifications are on by default, such as successfully completing the registration process. You can adjust these notifications by emailing email@example.com
We may use in-app pop-up messages to alert you of new products and features or content that may be of interest to you. Some in-app pop-ups are required to notify you of service changes. You can adjust these in-app pop-up messages by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
To help you discover relevant offers and opportunities, our partners can sponsor content that we show to you, based on your activities in Campus Society and content you provide.
Our Moderation team ensures there is no misuse of our Services and Products, or harmful behaviour towards others as well as makes sure we help, support and/or protect our community when we can. In case we detect content or conduct like described herein, we will take appropriate action – such as, supporting a member, removing content, blocking access to certain features, disabling an account or even contacting law enforcement.
Who may use our services
You may use the services if you:
- Have a valid university email address
- Are at least 16 years old
- Are not prohibited by law from accessing our services
- Haven’t previously been banned permanently or terminated from Campus Society for violating our terms
- Register in your own name and for your own benefit
If you accept these Terms of Service on behalf of a company, organisation, government, higher education institution or other legal entity, you represent and warrant that you are authorised to do so and have the authority to bind such entity to these Terms, in which case the words “you” and “your” as used in these Terms shall refer to such entity.
Participating in the Campus Society community
Registration and your profile
Your profile is your personal space to showcase your individuality. Your profile will show your name and university. You can choose what additional details you would like to display, such as: profile picture, course, subject, halls, a bio, and your interests. (nb: these are just some of the fields, not all). From your profile, you can post content including: status updates, photos, videos, stories, links; and share across the network – on your own feed, into channels, chat, groups, and events.
Brands and organisations (such as: university student unions, clubs, societies or content publishers) will be able to request an Official Partner profile on the network.
To post content to the community you’ll need to complete our registration form to create an account and profile. As part of registration, you’ll also be asked to fill in (optional) additional details around your studies, your interests, and asked to add friends. This is to provide you with a bespoke, personalised service.
When you register, we ask you to give us your first name and last name, your university email address and a password. Your first and last name will appear on the platform when published.
Your first name, last name and profile image must comply with the Rules below:
- You register with your real first and last name. You may not use a false first name or last name.
- You may not create or use an account for anyone other than yourself without their express consent.
- You may not use a first name and last name which is the name of another person with the intent to impersonate that person.
- You may not use a first name and last name that is subject to the rights of any third party without appropriate and express consent.
- We may need to ask you to change the names you’ve given us in circumstances where it appears unrelated to the name you use in everyday life. In these instances we may need to hide your profile until the change is made.
In order to register, each partner will need to provide business or organisation details for a manual verification with our team. These details can be completed via our contact form on the brands or clubs & societies pages on our website.
You are responsible for keeping your password safe, and you’re responsible for activity that occurs on your account.
You will immediately notify Campus Society in writing of any unauthorised use of your account or other account related security breach of which you are aware. Email email@example.com to let us know.
Completing your registration:
Once the contact form is submitted, a member of our staff will get in touch to confirm any additional details required and advise next steps. Each partner will be manually added to the platform and will need to provide logo and coverage image artwork. Members can follow Official Partner profiles on Campus Society.
Every great community has guidelines – please take time to carefully read through ours.
You must make sure your content and actions comply with our Community Guidelines and the following Rules: These Rules apply to all content and actions by individuals who agree to our Terms of Service.
Please make sure your content:
- Complies with all applicable laws in the UK.
- Complies with our Community Guidelines.
- Protects other members and staff by not disclosing anyone’s personal contact details or invading their privacy.
- Doesn’t imply you are, or any other person is associated with Campus Society.
- Doesn’t make use of our services for commercial activities and/or sales without Campus Society’s prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or multi-level marketing schemes.
- Doesn’t advertise or promote other services. You may include web links only when relevant to the discussion and provided that the website(s) to which they are linked do not damage our (or any other person’s) reputation or take advantage of it, complies in all respects with our Rules and Community Guidelines and does not suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement of it by Campus Society. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission for any reason at any time without notice.
- Isn’t made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Isn’t used to gain sponsorship, or to petition, campaign, scheme or send chain messages.
Please do not take any action, upload, download, post, distribute or otherwise facilitate any content which:
- Contains software viruses or any other malicious computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment, or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, passwords or other information belonging to Campus Society, its members, or any third party.
- Imposes or may impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on Campus Society’s infrastructure.
- Interferes or attempts to interfere with the proper working of our services, or any activities conducted on them.
- Bypasses any measures Campus Society may use to prevent or restrict access to our services.
- Runs any form of auto-responder or “spam”, as described in the Community Guidelines.
- Uses manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to “scrub”, “crawl” or “spider” any area of Campus Society.
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in and behind our Site, and in the material published by us on it. Our website contains content specifically provided by Campus Society or its partners, and that such content is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets and other proprietary rights and laws. You shall abide by and maintain all copyright notices, information, and restrictions contained in any content accessed through the Service. Use of university logos is the intellectual property of the respective university and in no way should imply endorsement by the university(s).
The above are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You agree not to:
- Decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms from any part of Campus Society.
- Modify, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of Campus Society.
- Copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder.
- Frame any part of our Site on any other website.
- Use any Campus Society intellectual property rights without our prior written consent.
You further agree to abide by all local, national and international laws and regulations applicable to you when using our Site.
The above lists are not exhaustive, and are given for illustrative purposes. They do not contain all forms of content and actions which can be deemed inappropriate by Campus Society, in its sole discretion.
Our members are incredible at helping to keep our community a safe space for all to engage in conversation and enjoy our services.
If you want to report content posted to the community, select the three dots which appear beside the individual profile, comment, post or private message, and send the report or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll review the content and decide whether it complies with our Rules and Community Guidelines.
Our community is moderated by both staff and technical tools which analyse suspicious activity across our services.
- We may review content you submit to the community to check it complies with our Rules (above) and our Community Guidelines.
- We can reject your content and it will not appear in the community if your content does not comply, or for any other reason.
- We can’t guarantee that all content will be published.
- If only part of an individual piece of content breaches these Rules or the Community Guidelines then we can remove the whole piece of content from the community.
- We may at any time and without notice remove and destroy content that has been published.
- We will determine, in our absolute discretion, whether any content or activity breaches the Rules and Community Guidelines.
- If we have reasonable grounds to believe that you are likely to breach the Rules and Community Guidelines, and therefore the Terms of Service upon which you are permitted to use Campus Society, we may take any action we think is necessary.
- We reserve the right to remove, or to disable access to, any content which we deem to be potentially defamatory of any person or which we deem unlawful.
- We may also remove content from the community that contains outdated or inaccurate information as well as content that has had no activity for a period greater than six months.
- We may also remove without notice ’duplicate’ content made by members. Where we do, we will endeavour to leave intact the post within the most relevant area of the community.
- If you post any content that is not in line with the Rules and our Community Guidelines, we may issue you a warning, remove your content, issue a temporary ban or permanently terminate your access to Campus Society.
- You must not evade bans or otherwise disregard directions from moderators.
- We expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the community by any person in contravention of these Terms of Service, including the Rules and our Community Guidelines.
- You acknowledge that content we post on our Site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you can rely and you should not take, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our Site without specialist advice.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information we post on our Site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that our content on the Site is accurate, complete or up to date.
- All content posted by other members of our Site represent the opinions of the individual who posted it, not Campus Society. That content has not been verified or approved by us and the views expressed by others may not represent our views and values. We are not liable for the content you, or other members of our Site, produce.
- We reserve the right to disclose any content or information to law enforcement authorities as required by law. For example, if something you’ve posted is in breach of child protection laws.
- We are able to take legal proceedings against you. For example, if we have to pay damages because of your actions, we’ll be able to sue you to get that amount back.
Failure to remove particular material does not constitute an endorsement or acceptance of it by us. We exclude our liability for all action we take in response to breaches of these Terms and the Rules. The actions described above are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
You are responsible for all the content that you post. You have to make sure that your use of Campus Society and your content respects the intellectual property of others by not infringing on rights such as: patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyright, rights of publicity, or any other legal rights of any other person or entity.
If you post content that belongs to someone else (for example, the creative or academic works of other people), or if you use someone else’s work in your own content, it’s your responsibility to ensure that you have the permission of all relevant rights holders in order to post that content to Campus Society.
Good etiquette in communities, when sharing creative or academic works by others as a reference, is to give credit to the original creator and link to the original source, making it clear who owns the content and not portraying yourself as the original creator.
Anyone uploading another person’s content without the necessary permissions is liable to have that content removed and/or their account terminated. We reserve the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our Site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
By sharing content on Campus Society, or making any actions such as liking and bookmarking, you acknowledge that:
- It is considered non-confidential and non-proprietary and that, while you retain your ownership rights in it, you’re licensing us to freely use, reproduce, edit, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties, including in the community, on our website, and/or through our email communications, and that third parties may use that content in accordance with our conditions below (under Licenses).
- You grant us the license to prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit your content in association with our services and Campus Society’s (and its successors and assigns) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the services (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.
- You hereby do and shall grant each member of Campus Society a non-exclusive license to access your content throughout our services, and to use, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such content solely for personal, non-commercial use.
For the avoidance of doubt, unless otherwise indicated in these Terms of Service or otherwise on our Site, nothing in this license is intended to give us the right to commercially exploit anything you submit to our Site without your consent.
From time to time however we may run events in Campus Society asking you to submit ideas specifically for us to commercially exploit: we will always make this clear to you. For example, we may ask for your ideas on new services which our members would like us to develop.
This licence will be free of charge, perpetual and capable of sub-licence.
We may exercise all copyright and publicity rights in your content in all jurisdictions, to their full extent and for the full period for which any such rights exist in that material.
If you’re not in a position to grant such a licence to us, please don’t submit content or take actions in Campus Society
Infringements of your IP rights
If your copyright has been infringed, please contact Campus Society and let us know. Once verified we will swiftly remove, or disable access to the material. Upon removal, we will contact the alleged infringer to resolve.
You can contact Campus Society at the following email address: email@example.com or by any of the methods shown in the Contact section of these Terms.
Campus Society grants each member a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable and non-transferable license to use the Site and to use, modify or reproduce the content on it, solely for personal, non-commercial use. Use, reproduction, modification, distribution or storage of any part of the Site, or any content on it, for commercial use is expressly prohibited without prior written consent from Campus Society, or from the copyright holder identified in such content’s copyright notice. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any content for commercial use or in any way that violates any third party right.
You represent and warrant that:
- You have full authority to grant the license and property rights set forth above.
- You have the consent to use any names or likenesses of each identifiable individual or entity in your content, and to use such individual or entity’s identifying or personal information as contemplated by these Terms of Service.
- You are authorized to grant all of the aforementioned rights to your content to Campus Society and all other members of Campus Society.
- You understand that Campus Society maintains the right to view, delete, edit, modify, reformat and/or sample all content and information submitted by you.
- You understand and acknowledge that all information publicly posted or privately transmitted through Campus Society is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated and that Campus Society is not liable for any errors or omissions in such content.
- You also understand and acknowledge that Campus Society cannot guarantee the identity of any other members with whom you may interact in the course of using our services.
Third Party Sites and Services
Campus Society’s services may contain links to other websites, services or resources on the internet, and other websites, services or resources may contain links to Campus Society in kind.
When you access third party websites, you do so at your own risk. These other websites are not under Campus Society’s control, and you acknowledge that Campus Society is not responsible or liable for the content, functions, accuracy, legality, appropriateness or any other aspect of such websites or resources. The inclusion of any such link does not imply endorsement by Campus Society or any association with its operators.
You further acknowledge and agree that Campus Society is not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such content, services or resources available on or through any such website or resource.
The Site contains weblinks to certain of our partner’s websites through which certain of the goods and services promoted by us may be obtained. Your use of those sites may require you to agree to our applicable partner’s own contractual terms and conditions. In agreeing to them, you form a contract with that partner and not Campus Society, and we are not responsible to you for any liability or issue arising from or connected with any such contract or the products or services received under it.
Terminating your account
Campus Society may suspend or terminate, periodically or indefinitely, your account and/or remove any content posted by you on the Site in accordance with, or if Campus Society (in its sole opinion) believes you are in any way in violation of these Terms of Service or the Community Guidelines. Campus Society may terminate your access to all or any part of our service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with your registration.
If you wish to terminate your account, you may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will work to remove any data generated from your account and content, but we may not be able to remove personal information generated and/or shared by other members on the platform either through posts or screenshots.
Additional provisions (here comes the legal stuff!)
Campus Society has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. Even though our moderation and verification teams are trying their best to keep you safe and ensure that all content is up to the standards we have set, Campus Society has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding which members gain access to Campus Society, what content you may encounter or access across our services, what effects the content may have on you, how you may interpret or use the content, or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the content.If you want to report content posted to the community or any person please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
Members of Campus Society may, from time to time, share content or direct you to third party websites which some people may find harmful, offensive, vulgar, or inappropriate. Campus Society makes no representations concerning any content contained in or accessed through the Site, and further shall not be held responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in or accessed through our services.
The services and Site are provided “as is” and “as available”, without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and any warranties implied by any course of performance or usage of trade, all of which are expressly disclaimed. Campus Society, and its directors, employees, agents, suppliers, partners and content providers cannot and do not warrant that: (a) the service will be secure or available at any particular time or location; (b) any defects or errors will be corrected; (c) any content or software available on or through the service is free of bugs, viruses or other harmful components; (d) content posted, or services made available, by Campus Society on or through our Site is appropriate for use or availability in any territories outside of the United Kingdom or (e) the results of using the service will meet your requirements. Your use of the service is solely at your own discretion and constitutes assumption of such risks. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you are solely responsible for configuring the security of the information technology through which you access the Site. You should use your own virus protection software and are responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Campus Society takes every measure to ensure the security of the services, but given the nature of the internet makes no guarantee of confidentiality or privacy of any communication or information transmitted or stored on the site or any website linked to the site. We reserve the right to suspend, withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Site for business and operational reasons and otherwise.
You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Campus Society, its affiliates, employees, contractors, directors, suppliers and representatives from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of or access to our services or member content and activities, other violations of the Terms of Services or infringements by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. Campus Society reserves the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which case you will assist and cooperate with Campus Society in asserting any available defenses.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so.
Subject to the above, in no event will Campus Society or its directors, employees, agents, partners, suppliers or content providers, be liable under contract, tort, strict liability, negligence or any other legal or equitable theory with respect to your, or any other person’s, use of our Site or services for any (i) lost profits, data loss, cost of procurement of substitute goods or services, or special, indirect, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever, substitute goods or services (however arising), (ii) for any bugs, viruses, malware, spyware, or the like (regardless of the origin), or (iii) for any direct damages in excess of (in the aggregate) one-hundred pounds sterling (£100.00).
Different limitations and exclusions of liability may apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products to you, which will be set out in the applicable terms and conditions of supply.
The Terms of Service shall be enforced, governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom. You irrevocably consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the United Kingdom courts for the determination of any dispute arising from or in relation to these Term of Service and your use of the Site.
These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between you and Campus Society, and supersede all prior or contemporaneous communications, agreements, and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and Campus Society with respect to our services. If any provision of the Terms of Service is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms of Service will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either party to exercise, in any respect, any right provided herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder.
Campus Society shall not be liable for any failure to perform its obligations hereunder where such failure results from any cause beyond Campus Society’s reasonable control, including, without limitation, mechanical, electronic or communications failure or degradation (including “line-noise” interference). These Terms of Service are personal to you, and are not assignable, transferable or sublicensable by you except with Campus Society’s express written consent. Campus Society may assign, transfer or delegate any of its rights and obligations hereunder without consent. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of the Terms of Service and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect. All notices under the Terms of Service will be in writing and will be deemed to have been duly given when received, if personally delivered or sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested; when receipt is electronically confirmed, if transmitted by facsimile or e-mail; or the day after it is sent, if sent for next day delivery by recognised overnight delivery service.
Contact Campus Society
Film House, 142 Wardour Street,
London, W1F 8DD
We’re registered in England and Wales under company number 08760904 and have our registered office at 21 Arlington Street, London, SW1A 2RN. Our VAT number is 184 2511 16.
Changes to the Terms of Service
We reserve the right to make changes to these Terms of Service. When we make changes to them, you’ll be notified and asked to read and agree to them in order to keep using our services.
Date of last revision: 30 August 2019
Replaces previous version published: 23 May, 2018